The Rope Project

Completion Date: 
2009
Rope Project_01-thumb.jpg

The Rope Project.
I approached this project by deconstructing the rope. I decided to convert the rope into a tool. I started by becoming familiar with the rope. I played, dragged, and tied it into different knots. The interaction made the rope more flexible and easy to handle.

Restrictions - 15 minutes every day for 14 days.
At the beginning the restriction was challenging. It was hard to know what to do with the rope. I spent most of the time thinking how to find an appropriate or a clever solution to the object. Since this approach didn't take me anywhere, I decided to stop worrying about time and started focusing more on the nature of the object.

At this point I started cutting the rope into smaller pieces. I took all the small pieces apart. I was surprise to see how many threads each piece of rope was made of. As the project became more interesting I was finally discovering the structure of the object and I was able to visualize the object for his nature more than for its form.

I leaned that it is better for me as a designer to see things for what they really are, to focus on the essence more that its function. I understood that objects have the flexibility to transform, so why not give them the chance to do it.

The Rope Project Video

Login | The Dynamic Media Institute and Massachusetts College of Art and Design are trademarks and all contents of this site are Copyright 2005 - 2012 unless otherwise noted. Writings and projects are property of their respective authors. Reproduction in whole or in part is prohibited without prior consent.